Founded in early 2000, Yayasan Ekosistem Lestari (YEL) is a non-profit organization focused on conservation, environmental education and community development, especially those living adjacent to conservation areas. In response to the emergence of various environmental issues across Sumatra, YEL seeks to protect the unique Leuser and Batang Toru Ecosystems in Sumatra, home to some of the most abundant and diverse plant and animal life known to science. Yayasan Ekosistem Lestari the main implementer of the Sumatran Orangutan Conservation Programme (SOCP), focussing on conservation of Critically Endangered Sumatran and Tapanuli orangutans. Our vision is to preserve the environment with sustainable benefits for the whole community.
ASAP Species That We Work On
What We Do
- Runs the only quarantine, rehabilitation and reintroduction programme for orangutans in Sumatra.
- Is actively creating two entirely new, genetically viable and self-sustaining wild orangutan populations in Sumatra
- Is actively engaged in orangutan habitat monitoring and protection in both the Leuser and Batang Toru Ecosystems, home to Sumatran and Tapanuli orangutans
- Actively survey and monitor wild orangutan populations
- Is establishing the Orangutan Haven, a unique new education, conservation and recreation asset near Medan in North Sumatra.
- Is commencing new conservation breeding programmes for endangered songbirds including the Straw headed bulbul and Nias hill myna.
Where We Work
Northern Sumatra, Indonesia, in the provinces of North Sumatra and Aceh
Web & Social Media